Peace for today and hope for tomorrow
As I sat in my morning meditation time today, I found it difficult to bring about stillness. Normally I look forward to this quiet time and most always find peace, even when life is not going as smooth as I would like. Today was different, my mind was stuck in racing mode, with thoughts of all the chaos going on around me. The last couple of day’s cancellations, disrupted schedule, lack of household necessities, and the fear of what’s next was starting to get to me. I had warned myself and even promised myself earlier in the week that I was not going to let this happen. But it did. I had to admit this morning, my humanness needed a reboot and my thoughts needed attending to.
How about you? How are you doing? Has your life been disrupted by cancellations, schedule changes, business closings, and the fear of the future? Do you believe it’s possible to have peace and hope during difficult times like these?
I liken this virus to a big storm…. similar to a big hurricane we Floridians are familiar with. Like a scary hurricane, this virus in our life today is scary and comes with a lot of uncertainties and unknown facts. We know that we are dealing with a contagious and dangerous virus, just like we know when we are dealing with a hurricane. But we don’t know how hard this virus will hit us or if it’s strength will lessen and spare us. We don’t know how long it will be upon us or the destruction that will be the reality when it’s over. One thing is for certain….. this storm will pass and together we will pick up the pieces and thrive again.
Anyone who has prepared and waited for a hurricane learns that we only have today to live for. As each minute and hour passes by and we wait for the hurricane’s land fall, we only have this present moment to live for. We are uncertain of what the next hour or day will bring, and we are uncertain of what the future looks like. But one thing is for certain……this storm will pass, and together we will pick up the pieces and thrive again.
So how do you live just today creating more peace and hope for your future during this Corona Virus storm?
- Remind yourself often that you have prepared well and have done everything within your control.
- It’s important to be well informed but limit yourself to watching continual news. Commit to the number of hours and certain times of the day you will tune in and stick to it.
- Make sure you are receiving needed updates from reliable MEDICAL sources such as the CDC (Centers for Disease Control).
- If you choose television as your activity, consider watching a comedy or something encouraging.
- Laugh a lot!
- Take lots of walks. This with help you both mentally and physically and it even boosts your immune system!
- Stay connected with others by calling someone or send emails and letters.
- Stay connected with yourself. How are you feeling and what steps can you take to practice self-care?
- Give thanks often for all you have and pray for peace, protection or whatever you need.
- Acknowledge and accept that you will live just today, and you will deal with tomorrow when it comes.
No one says this is easy. In fact, some days may be harder than others, but remember tomorrow is a new day! This storm will pass and together we will pick up the pieces and thrive again!
As I was writing this today, a friend who I had not spoken to in some time called to simply check in with me. What an encouragement this was! Before ending the call, he asked if he could pray a blessing over me. And so, I am passing this blessing on to you today:
I pray that God the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace
and that you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Need some extra help, support or encouragement? I would love to have a conversation with you!
You and Your life matters!
Peace and Gratitude,
If you found this helpful, please share!